Thursday, October 25, 2007

A bit behind the times

I know I'm late with this but I only heard last night. Husband told me when he phoned that he'd read in the paper that JK Rowling has said that Dumbledore is gay. I felt a Jim Royle moment coming on. (For those of you not familiar with Jim he's a true-to-life character - rather like Homer Simpson - in a comedy show, The Royle Family. You can't help liking him. He has a catchphrase that has been absorbed into the nation's consciousness.) "Dumbledore gay, my arse!"

Precisely, Jim.

My thought is that now that she's finished writing the HP series, JK was worried that her source of income might dry up and so has decided to tap into the gay community. Her next book will be Hogwarts: The Prequel, in which it's revealed that the real reason Snape hates James Potter and Sirius Black is that, after leading him on and having their way with him, they threw him out of their love triangle. That will be followed by the pre-prequel, Dumbledore: The Fruiting.

Pah! Next they'll be telling me that when
Five Have Plenty of Fun, it's an entirely different sort of fun from that I imagined Dick, George, Julian and Anne having when Aunt Fanny wasn't looking.

And now, you see, I was so busy thinking about Dumbledore, I can't remember if I put any deodorant on. If I start smelling in the hairdressers, it'll be JK Rowling's fault.


Postscript: Daughter found this quote on the BBC news report.
And a spokesman for gay rights group Stonewall added: "It's great that JK has said this. It shows that there's no limit to what gay and lesbian people can do, even being a wizard headmaster."
xx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Blimey!! Hes hardly likely to make gay icon status - its hard to imagine the crowds at G.A.Y dressed as Dumbledore!!

Anonymous said...

I'm very behind the times then. I did'nt know until now.

WE have a few Famous 5 cd's, I never ever put them if O.H is around, he does that school boy sniggering at certain peoples names!!

rofl @ postscript!!

Unknown said...

I really don’t think JK’s worried about an income; I hear that Harry Potter made her zillions.

You don’t remember if you used deodorant or not? Just give yourself another dab—can’t hurt anything (I don’t think). Now, if I get distracted and can’t remember if I gulped down my morning meds, I’m in real trouble. If I double dose, I get sick; if I don’t take them at all, I change into a vampire bat by noon.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Yes, blame JKL!

Gledwood said...

She was probably just trying to attract attention now her creative juices are sapped totally dry...