Thursday, July 12, 2007

Fly me to the moon

Younger Son works at the airport. His work is completely unrelated to the airport; the company just happens to be occupying some accommodation there.

The last couple of days he tells me there have been some suspicious characters about.

One asked if he could leave a bag there for someone. He changed his mind later and came back to get it but had to answer some questions from the police.

The other was spotted taking photographs of the airport and I'm told this is illegal now.

Now this would all be rather more worrying if you hadn't seen the airport. I'll let these two quotes from The Budget Traveller's Guide to Sleeping in Airports tell the story for me.

"I lived in a tent off the runway for nearly a year after being evicted from Cork airport in Ireland. It's OK - but seems to lack general facilities, including aeroplanes. There used to be flights to London through Air Wales, but these have now stopped it seems. So if you ever get to the airport your only way out is by foot, bus or stolen car."

"Going to Ireland, rubbish airline delays, so I decided to sleep there. The airport has constant problems with sheep wandering onto the runway, and its facilities are more suited to battery farming than are conducive to a decent night's rest."

5 comments:

James Higham said...

Fly me to the moon - will that be a return ticket, Liz?

Chris said...

I remember Swansea Airport - David took a microlight flight from there when we were visiting the lovely Gower on holiday. I spent a very enjoyable couple of hours relaxing in the sun.

Couldn't do that at Heathrow.

Ruthie said...

Sheep?

Really?

Liz Hinds said...

James, definitely. My life here is much too good!

Chris, they do still have odd flights - very odd. Learners, and local businessmen.

Ruthie, yes! YS said there's someone camping there at the moment.

Lee said...

Our world has certainly changed...so sad...so wrong.