Monday, July 09, 2007

Sunday round-up

Husband grumbled about the photo I posted on the previous post. He felt I should have used the one that shows his legs. 'People said I had lovely legs.' And he does.
Harvey can't understand why we've rushed indoors. I'm sure there must be something about the rain not falling on the innocent.













I've written to the local paper! I often threaten to but rarely does the enthusiasm endure. But this time I've actually done it.
There was a report in Friday's paper about a big effort by police to get drug dealers off the streets. Since March dozens of suspects have been arrested. It mentioned that three of them have now been imprisoned; the report also saw fit to say that the three were all Big issue sellers.
Too many people already have the wrong impression of Big Issue sellers: they see them as no-good beggars. In fact, the majority are trying hard to find a way off the streets. Selling the Big Issue magazine - which they have buy before they can sell it - is, for many, the first step to getting into employment and the community. It's work, not begging and part of the ethos of the Big Issue is to raise self-esteem in people who have a very low opinion of themselves by giving them something worthwhile to do, that earns them some money. Most of them are not drug dealers. To mention this in the report simply reinforces the stereotype that exists.
Off my soapbox.
Yesterday, after the gardening, we took a drive out to the marina. There must be a lot of rich people around. It's not just the price of the boat initially - £500,000 for the ones I really like - it's the cost of mooring it and technical terms that husband explained to me, but I wasn't really listening, preferring instead to imagine myself lounging on the deck of a boat, somewhere round the Caribbean, or shall we go to the Indian Ocean this month?

Rich people but we're not among them. Lots of flashy and not-so-flashy boats in the Marina. The national industrial museum is built on the edge of the marina and several of the exhibits are floating in it. As well as a lightship and something else - I think it was something to do with canning - there's a tug called Thomas. Thomas is a Normandy D-Day veteran and was the first diesel tug owned by the Admiralty.
It was interesting to see the old and the new juxtaposed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welsh transvestites and innocent sons-of-bitches? Where is this blog going? I'd better hide the wellies before ewe notice ;-)

Liz Hinds said...

He's English actually.

Have you seen my wellies?!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hasrvey looks lovely but very puzzled there! Well done for wrioting to the paper.

Maria said...

I love the water and being on a boat of my own would be a dream! :)

M

Puss-in-Boots said...

I didn't realise sellers of Big Issue were regarded in that way, Liz. It's sold here but no-one regards them as drug dealers or the like...as you say, they're just people trying to make a living, like the rest of us.

I must applaud your police for cracking down on dealers though. Our police here have intercepted several large hauls of drugs in recent times...I think the dealers must be getting a bid desperate now, their sources are being blown.

Loved the photo of that stalward little boat "Thomas". He's a wartime hero.

Mauigirl said...

We have a similar thing here in the States - there is an organization that works with the homeless to publish a newspaper that they then sell on the streets, apparently like your Big Issue. It has the same purpose, to give them self-respect and let them earn some money without begging. I'm glad you stuck up for them.

Clare said...

Harvey's nose looks black to me...

Anonymous said...

Someone might take notice now you have written to the paper. And what a wonderful blue sky you have in your marina pic, I thought was on Welshcake's pae for a moment.

Anonymous said...

The life of a dog. Not a care in the world. I would like a houseboat.