Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Dogs and devils

Harvey is feeling a little better today and he thanks everyone for their kind wishes. Mum says he's certainly barking better.
Because of his back leg problems we've put bits of carpets all over our lovely wooden kitchen floor. The things we do for dogs.
Dog, n. A kind of additional or subsidiary Deity designed to catch the overflow and surplus of the world's worship. This Divine Being in some of his smaller and silkier incarnations, takes, in the affection of Woman, the place to which there is no human male aspirant.
From The Devil's Dictionary by Ambrose Bierce.
I wouldn't argue with that except to except to query the specification of small and silky; in my experience dogs of every shape and degree of silkiness hold the highest place in Woman's regard.
P.S. I read about the Devil's Dictionary on Russian Wolfhound's blog. I'd never heard of this exceptional little book before. It was first published in 1911, written by a man described as 'a Yankee Oscar Wilde'.
Alliance, n. In international politics, the union of two thieves who have their hands so deeply inserted in each other's pocket that they cannot separately plunder a third.
Immigrant, n. An unenlightened person who thinks one country better than another.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Try this one if you have the time.

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/375

Crushed said...

Dogd are like children only better.
Thet never turn into moody adolscents, and I'd rather hug a dog any day.

Maria said...

Thanks for the tip on the book! I'll be looking for it! So glad the baby is getting better! Love the rug... the things Momma's will do is right!

:)

All the best!
M

jmb said...

I'm glad Harvey's feeling better.
Gotta love those definitions.
I'll have to look out for it too.

Furtheron said...

Glad Harvey is feel better.

He looks a bit sad still in the photo. Chin up old chap...!

Liz Hinds said...

Oh, Jack, that's terrible! I wondered if he were going to die but all of that ... Such amazing descriptions. I could feel. Thank you.

cbi, that's a very heartfelt comment!

Maria, jmb and furtheron, yes, Harvs is improving I'm pleased to say. Back to almost his old pesky self!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like something struck a chord.

I am pleased you found it terrible.

He has a few other "terrible" ones.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Ah, glad he's feeling better! I must look for "The Devil's Dictionary".

Mauigirl said...

Good for Harvey, glad he is OK.

Lee said...

I'm glad to hear that Harvey is feeling a bit better, Liz. Never fear...you're not alone. My two cats have run of my home...it's their home, too...so that's the way it should be in my book. Actually, they are incredibly spoiled and I'm the one who makes sure I don't disturb them when they take over my king-size
bed! Both are sitting here beside my laptop at present...soaking up the warmth from the desk lamp! It's pretty damn cold out today and they poked their noses out the door only to promptly come back in again...too cold outside for them at the moment...me, too! ;)

MaryB said...

Thanks for the Devil's Dictionary tip, Liz. And sooo glad Harvs is perkier!

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks everyone. Big woofs from Harvey.

I bought the Devil's Dictionary very cheaply on ebay so look there first!