Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Travolta, Cruise and me

Panorama last night was about the Church of Scientology.

I haven't seen Panorama for ages, certainly not in its 30-minute format, and if last night's show was a typical example of its reporting, then I won't be watching again for ages. There was nothing new; it proved nothing; it was just nonsense.

I decided to watch it because a few years ago I was asked to consider ghost-writing a book by a woman who had come out of Scientology. It was just after my ghost-written 'autobiography' of a New York cop was published, when my editor at Hodder asked me to go to meet this lady.

I spent some time with her and her husband and she and I got on well. I suspect it was her husband, with whom I didn't click, that led to me not being asked to do the book in the end. I think he wanted to do it himself but, as far as I know, Hodder never published it.

One of the things this lady asked, was, would I be prepared to have my life, and anything I'd ever done wrong, be made public as that was how the Church of Scientology would be likely to respond, by trying to discredit me as well as her. At the time I said it wouldn't worry me, but would that have been foolish or brave?

Actually they wouldn't have to look very far. Just reading my blog would give them enough to discredit me!

4 comments:

Lee said...

It's difficult to say...we all have moments in our lives we wish to forget and probably not want to share with others...but, then, I guess, if one is writing an autobiography or bio, the truth should be told. Six of one and half a dozen of the other, perhaps.

Anna said...

Panorama has gone downhill - Dispatches is the best reporting show on the telly now! The next one is about the women in Afghanistan, to whom the Allies made a promise of hope but failed to make good. I'll tell you what else you should be watching - Victoria's Empire on Sunday nights. Have you seen any of it? I think it's finished now so you will have to look out for repeats.

Furtheron said...

See the problem is that there is always three sides to every story. Mine, yours and the truth. However we say it our story is always from our perception of the moment isn't it.

Would I do an autobiography? Well I haven't an interesting story to tell but I don't know even in that there are many skeletons in the cupboard that others would love to bring out and dance with. Even if only because it's their problem not mine if you see what I mean.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Umm - I don't think I'd want everyone to know EVERYTHING, particularly about when I was young and even more foolish than now! I didn't know the scientologists operated in this rather mafioso way. Also didn't know Panorama down to 30 mins - whatever nest?!