Monday, May 21, 2007

To make Sultana Bread

Some people have asked for the recipe for the 'pretend bara brith' shown below. It's not a real yeast-bread but more of a quick cake-bread. It is very moreish.

Put 12 oz sultanas in a pan with 2 oz margarine and about 13 fl oz hot water. Bring to the boil and simmer for about 5 minutes, then allow to cool a little.



Sieve 13 oz self-raising flour together with ½ a teaspoon bicarbonate of soda. Mix in 9 oz sugar.

Stir the fruit mixture into the flour and add 2 beaten eggs. Mix all together well.

Put the mixture into a greased and lined large loaf tin and cook in the oven at 180 C or gas mark 4 for about 50 - 60 mins, until a skewer inserted comes out clean. If it looks as if it's getting too brown, cover with foil.

Turn out to cool and serve sliced and spread with butter - there's only a little fat in the mixture so you can feel justified in having it thickly spread!
xxx

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the hazy long-ago days when I often baked for my family, I used to make this exact recipe Liz! We called it Boiled Fruitcake then. I still have the recipe so you never know...I might, I just might, one day.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh, thank you! I did so want this recipe!