Monday, May 28, 2007

Just a typical weekend

Bank Holiday weekend weather has been typical: rain and more rain. Fortunately it didn't start until Saturday evening. I say fortunately because we had a barbecue at Linden on Friday evening for the youngsters from youth club, their parents and anyone from church who wanted to come along.

There must have been 100 plus people there and Husband and I were in the catering corps. Husband was cooking burgers; Mike, another volunteer, was serving them; I was taking orders, taking money, spreading out serviettes, dishing up buns - doing most of the work in fact. But who gets all the praise and thanks?
However a young man did compliment me on my buns. And, hey, when you get to my age, you take your compliments where you can.

It was also fortunate that the people attending the barbecue were honest as I kept forgetting to ask for money.

* * * * * * * * * * *
Sunday morning we had a guest speaker from Canada in church. I was rocking baby Rowan when the speaker shouted, 'If you don't have your bibles with you, shame on you!' I pinched Rowan then and made him cry so I had to take him out. (I didn't really; it was the speaker shouting that made him cry but it was a good excuse to leave.) He'd already given us a few 'You shoulds...' and 'You shouldn'ts...' Not my kind of speaker. I took refuge in the creche.

And no-one had told him that we have 20 minute sermons: he went on for 50. It's a well-known fact that people can't concentrate for that long. Particularly not Linden people.

* * * * * * * * * *


It's bright and sunny today. In between heavy showers. Husband has taken the cover off the pool.
He said, 'I found two little bugs in the primal swamp but no crocodiles.'
A little later he came in and said, 'You remember what I said about not finding any crocodiles?' Then he held out his hand to show me this.

6 comments:

DeeJay said...

I just love newts

Lee said...

There you go! You've started a colony of crocs in Wales! You could make money out of this, Liz...Steve Irwin would have been proud of you! :)

Elsie said...

Oh yes, the critters. Glad you were able to save that little one. Most aren't so lucky. Good to see you're getting into the swim of things. Have fun!

Liz Hinds said...

If the weather ever warms up again, Elsie! It's sunny but oh so cold.

I'd probably be better off starting a croc park, Lee. Younger Son is a big fan of the late Mr Irwin so he'd up for it.

Newts, ageis? Crocs!

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

That's a big croc! [All spiders are trantulas to me and so all newts are crocs.] Men always get the compliments for a bbq, don't they?

Mauigirl said...

What a cute little lizard! Sorry your holiday weekend had rain; we were lucky with ours.