Wednesday, May 23, 2007

grace and vodka help you sleep at nights

In Zac's, Sean mentioned - it might have been a quote - the eccentricity of Christianity. The foolishness of it. The way it's all about grace. God's generosity. It's not something we have to earn; it's not something we can earn. There's nothing we can do to make God love us more; there's nothing we can do that will make God love us less.

It's all down to God's wonderful, overflowing, abundant love for us. Giving us what we don't deserve instead of giving us what we do deserve.

All we have to do, as with any gift, is reach out and take it.

* * * * * * * * *

Christine's doctor has changed her medication (her happy pills). The new ones don't help her to sleep. After a few sleepless nights she took two instead of the prescribed one; that didn't help. The next night she washed them down with vodka; that made her to sleep. But the doctor was very cross.

8 comments:

Joy Des Jardins said...

Vodka? Yep, that would do the trick. And here I've just been relying on grace....

Furtheron said...

Christine's doctor is more than right to be cross. A word from the wise, this is a good way to end up standing in a bath full of water with a toaster plugged in figuring out whether to drop it or not, or end up in rehab for a few months.... or both. If the medication isn't working go back to the doctor pronto.

Anonymous said...

The eccentricity of Christianity : an example:-

Churches are built for people who have a 100% trust in God and who know that everything He does is right. So why do they have lightning conductors?

MaryB said...

Except in my case it'd be gin. When I was going through a horrific time a few years back, I was on the whole anti-depressant thing, which didn't calm me or help me sleep at all. Until I added gin. There. That's better. (Not good, though, if one has alcohol probs, which - thankfully - I don't.) I finally ditched the Zoloft and settled for a G&T before bedtime. Worked wonders. My advice to Christine (unless she's an alcoholic) is to ditch the meds. ;-)

And thank God for grace, eh? (Even without the gin.)

Liz Hinds said...

Dr Stu, because he doesn't promise that when you become a Christian all in life will go right for you. He also gives you a brain and expects you to take some responsibility. Like looking each way before crossing roads.

Anonymous said...

here's something for congregation,
albeit far too expensive :-

http://www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/detailoffer.php?type=OFF&code=EM0024&supercategory=&branch=&wcategory=

James Higham said...

Completely agree, Liz. thank goodness your blog is here.

Ian Stewart said...

I also completely agree with Liz. We should utilize our brain.where medicine fails , vodka does the trick.Vodka can solve both purpose of enjoyment and good sleep.I like to enjoy my evening by drinking my favorite vodka with spicy food and Cuban Cigars.As Cuban cigars are not easily available in the local market so I buy them online.