Thursday, April 05, 2007

Would you like ground glass with that?

Daughter is a marvellous cook. Whether she's following a recipe or creating her own, her food tastes wonderful.

She takes after her father in her creativity. I have to have a recipe that I follow to the ounce; he makes it up if he doesn't have what's needed.

So it probably wasn't one of my better decisions, on getting in from circuits tonight, to decide to make some soup. When Husband is away I tend to not cook properly so I had a vegetable rack of dodgy-looking roots facing me accusingly each time I went in the pantry. 'Soup's easy,' I told myself. Harvey sniffed doubtfully. I ignored him.

I gathered about me 2 onions (pay attention - you'll want to make this), 2 potatoes, half a swede, half a cauli, and a few florets of broccoli. After sweating them for a five minutes, I added two pints of vegetable stock and pressure cooked the lot.

The smell, when I spooned it into the liquidiser, was less than appetising but I told myself it was the taste that mattered. Harvey sniffed doubtfully.

It was when I tipped the puree back into the pressure cooker to reheat that I noticed the noise again.

First time I'd thought it was just me mishearing; this second time there was definitely something clanking in the soup. I fished around in it; there seemed to be more than one thing that shouldn't oughta have been in there.

At last my fishing proved fruitful: I had a piece of glass sitting on my spoon. I fished some more. The other clanketing bits were elusive.

I gave up and had a bowl of Frosties for dinner.

5 comments:

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Hi, Liz. Well, I think you're very brave to use a pressure cooker at all. a lot of women use them here but they scare me!

Lee said...

Ouch! Just as well you heard the noise!

jmb said...

well I'm amazed that someone still uses a pressure cooker. I've still got mine but don't use it because I'm sure the gasket is gone years ago. But it is a nice thick pot to use for some things. To be honest I never liked food cooked in a pressure cooker, although soup should be fine, glassless soup that is. All that effort for nothing.

MissKris said...

Yikes! Good thing you decided to investigate with the spoon before any of that ever got in your mouth! Ha, this post reminded me of the time my Dear Hubby and I had two of my little nieces come spend the weekend and I made something called "Shipwreck Stew". Believe me, you'd have to be shipwrecked to eat THAT horrible concoction...ewwwwww! The look on those little girls' faces was priceless when I set a bowl of it down in front of each of them, LOL! I can't remember what we did...maybe we had bowls of Frosties instead, too!

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor you. I don't have a pressure cooker now and I was never happy using one. My mother is an avid fan and recently bought another one.