Thursday, April 19, 2007

Forever Wales

I am tottering around the house on my shoes. I seem to have forgotten how to walk. I need to remove my shoes, remind myself how to walk and try again. As it is, if there should be a fire in the hotel and it's a case of run or be burned, I'll have to settle for the hot flames. But I'll look damn good. Just so long as long as I don't have to move. I'll have to settle for a dramatic wave of the arms and some memorable final words. "If I should die, think only this of me: that there's some corner of a foreign field that is for ever Wales." (What do you mean, 'that sounds familiar'?)

My cold seems slightly worse than it did yesterday when it was showing signs of disappearing. I wonder if the red onion soup is meant to draw it out; perhaps I have to get worse before I get better.

But all that is sounding very gloomy when I am not at all. Excited and happy would be a better description.

Oh, yes, and Husband has won a hamper in the guide dogs Spring raffle! Twice a year they send me books of tickets to sell and I end up buying them myself because I am too pathetic to send them back unsold. I have probably paid for the equivalent of several hampers but that's not the point. This is 'free' and a pleasant surprise - especially as I never win anything. (Although I did win a custom-made surfboard in the first raffle held by the Gower Surf Club in 19blurby blurby blurb.)

5 comments:

Mauigirl said...

Congrats on winning the hamper! And good luck with the shoes. I totally identify - I have bunions (inherited from my mother! I'll blame her!) and any heel at all just kills my feet.

Furtheron said...

I have never one anything except a competition many years ago to have stone cladding put on your house.

I have no idea why I entered it - just one of those stands where someone says join our competition so I did. However - I didn't own a house at the time so it was a pointless prize and they just ignore my request for the cash equivalent...

Liz Hinds said...

Thanks, Mauigirl, I am about to plaster my feet ready for the trial.

Furtheron, that is such a sad story! I am tempted to send you a prize myself. (But I resisted.)

DeeJay said...

Did you ever use the surfboard?

I hope your cold improves over the next day and a half and don't forget to post us some nice pics of you at the wedding.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Oh. Liz, my kindred spirit! I always used to end up doing that, too! - Buying raffle tickets I was sent myself, 'cos I didn't like to ask others to buy any! So glad you won something. On the day, you'll be so preoccupied with all the rest of the proceedings that you'll just glide in the shoes. - Trust a Sicilian Welshwoman, now!