Monday, March 19, 2007

An unexpected weekend

It was going to be a quiet weekend.

Younger Son was going to Devon to dogsit for Daughter and Son-in-law, but on Friday, pulling in to the side of a narrow lane to make way for a tractor, he damaged his car making it unsafe to drive. That evening it was panic stations with Daughter already in Brighton and Holly dog alone in Devon. The cavalry had to come to the rescue.

It was a lovely weekend, mostly sunny and breezy; just the sort of weekend to stay in a cottage in Devon. Our - no, sorry - my weekend was made complete when Wales, after losing four games in the Six Nations championship, beat England. (I'm not going to mention that again.)

Saturday morning we took Holly to Budleigh Salterton and walked the length of the beach. It's a shingle beach and the pebbles are all so wonderfully smooth, I get quite excited about their beauty.

We came home with a car loaded with driftwood and a few stones (I'm whispering that as there is a sign on the beach saying, 'Do not remove shingle or stones,' although I think they mean that in a big way. I hope.)






At the west end of the beach, Devonian red sandstone cliffs rise up sharply from the limestone-pebbled bay. The cliff is gradually being eroded away and fantastic shapes and holes are created in it.


It's a puzzle as to why the beach isn't red sand though.

This section of the bay is intended for naturists but there weren't any out yesterday, and Husband didn't think it was compulsory for us to undress.




I don't know what this rose was doing on the beach, but I do know what Holly was doing!
Now I've going to have beans on toast for my Mother's Day tea.

xxxx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds a lovely weekend Liz. I've been walking a lot too - from one end of the flat to the other carrying ornaments and books!

Shirley said...

Wonderful pictures!


Word is zshwop...the sound you make whilst washing up?

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful environment there, makes landbound me quite envious.

Lee said...

Lovely pictures, Liz and I love the one with the yellow rose, particularly. I wonder what the story is behind the rose.

Welshcakes Limoncello said...

Great photos, Liz - thank you. Hope you enjoyed the beans on toast! [Have to go to Ragusa for baked beans1]