Thursday, March 01, 2007

Hearing and listening

This morning Younger Son said, 'I'm not taking Betty to work today; I'm getting a lift.' I heard this as, 'I'm not taking Betty to work today; she's nearly out of petrol and I don't want to have to pay for some.'

Sure enough when I got in her later, the petrol gauge was on R (Really close to being empty?). But the level went up a bit when we went down hills so that was all right. Except going up hills.

More worryingly was the fact the speedometer wasn't working. Is that illegal? Not that it is much of a problem; Betty doesn't do fast.
Later
Younger Son returns home and plans to go out again. He leaves but comes back in again quickly. 'You've been out in Betty and used all the petrol!'
'Have I? Oh dear.'
He stamps grumpily up to his room; I am the one who feels guilty.

1 comment:

Alice (in BC Canada) said...

You beat him at his own game. Feel PROUD, not guilty... let that stuff go. It sounds like he needs to learn and you just helped him a bit.

That is a beautiful picture of Betty. I love those old VW Bugs.