Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Get with the beat

I was just sitting on the toilet playing my knees.

I had my first drum lesson last night.

I used to go to a drumming group but it clashes with Zac's, so when I had the opportunity to buy some lessons, in an auction the church held in aid of its fund-raising for Mutende Children's Village in Zambia, I went for it.

Husband wondered if Pete, the teacher, had any idea what he was letting himself in for. 'Does he know you have the co-ordination of a blind wombat?'

(Why a blind wombat particularly I don't know. Maybe they are renowned for their lack of ball-handling skills, a disaster in a cricket-loving nation.)

Anyway I had my first lesson. For homework I have to practise a drill.

First tap your right hand on your knee to the count of 4. 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

Now add in a tap of your right foot on 1

Then a tap with your left hand on 3.

This, apparently, is the basic rock beat that is most often used.

I have come to the conclusion that my right foot has a will of its own; it doesn't like being left out. It adds in a tap whenever it feels another limb is getting too much attention.

(Limb? Is a hand a limb? What else is it called?)

We also tuned my bongos.

Not only do i lack co-ordination, I am tone deaf.

Pete said, 'Hear the difference?' as he tweaked the skin.
'Yes,' I nodded. Ha ha ha.

Still I am looking forward to the day when I join music group one Sunday morning in church and suddenly let fly with ba boom biddy boom ba ba barum bas shum tum pa rum pa boom chitty boom ba boom babadoom! Keith Moon, eat your heart out.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Still I am looking forward to the day when I join music group one Sunday morning in church and suddenly let fly with ba boom biddy boom ba ba barum bas shum tum pa rum pa boom chitty boom ba boom babadoom!

Please have someone film it. You got a good laugh from me.

Anonymous said...

Please have someone film the actual event, Liz, not the practice sessions on the loo.

You are funny.

Anonymous said...

As a teenager i used to sit in the toilet playing my ..er... trombone?

Liz Hinds said...

C'mon, name yourself, anon!

Clare said...

wonderful image of you just standing up randomly in church and shouting "ba boom biddy boom ba ba barum bas shum tum pa rum pa boom chitty boom ba boom babadoom!"
It'd certainly keep people awake!

Elsie said...

When I read this yesterday, I couldn't stop laughing. I tried to comment, but couldn't. Liz, I'm laughing just as hard today. Your writing is wonderful -- it's always the highlight of my day. Thanks.