Monday, October 02, 2006

What would Robin of Sherwood say?

Old age has done nothing to improve Harvey's manners.

Today we were walking down the road to the playing fields. It's a very very quiet road so I don't bother with his lead and we wander down the middle of the road. Usually.

Today Harvs decided to walk on the very narrow pavement. Now Harvs is a big dog; he takes up the whole pavement. So the poor old man, who was walking up the pavement carrying a heavy bag, had to step out on to the road to get round Harvey.

No, Harvey, I don't think it would have made any difference if you had spotted him earlier; you would still have maintained your path ... yes, I'm sure it was an interesting smell but that's no excuse for bad manners ... I'll tell you why you should have stepped off the path instead of him - because you're a dog ... no, I'm not being rude, simply telling the truth ... yes you are ... look I'm not going to sit here arguing with you, I'm going to carry on with my story.

When we got to the playing fields (stop sulking!) we couldn't go our usual route as there was archery practice there. At least that's what they call it but I don't think Robin Hood would recognise it. One man even had a special telescopey-thing on a stand so he could see how close he was to the bull (bull? Is that what it's called in archery?) And their bows are straight out of a sci-fi film.

Then Harvey decided to revert to sheep mode and wandered along the bank of the stream grazing on long grass. Clunk clank, his teeth went as he insisted on biting stalks of grass as if they were marrow-bones.

Then to finish off our walk in style, on the way home he decided not to get off the road when a car was coming and the car had to drive around his bottom, which was being stuck out into the road. He faced me with a resolute - and blank - stare, as I was tugging on his collar, begging him to move his butt.

And now as I am trying to type this, he is demanding that I scratch his back at the same time. One day he's going to push his luck too far!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your dog sounds like a character and a big part of the family. We always had dogs when I was a kid. I wouldn't mind having another, but lots of work and love needed.

Anna said...

Well, you know, Harvey is an old man too, and probably hasn't read the highway code where it says you should give way to uphill vehicles.

As for cars, well, they oughta respect an old dog, didn't they?

Anonymous said...

Harvey sounds wonderful. I love animals with a distinct personality. I'm guessing he must be quite big.