Thursday, October 05, 2006

Poorly Betty

Betty broke down when we were on holiday.

Daughter took her to a computer repair shop and she had to be brought home on a poorly-car-cart.

The man who normally looks after her came to visit and said her starter motor was broken and could we get her to his garage. Seeing as how she wouldn't start and he didn't have a towing lorry, I umm-ed and aah-ed helplessly for a bit before he suggested bump-starting. (I obviously didn't play helpless enough as he didn't offer to do it.)

So this afternoon I dragged Younger Son out to help me (husband is in Glasgow and Winchester this week).

YS pushed us along the bit of road outside our house: no joy. He pushed us across the road in front and onto the road that leads down to the playing fields. Betty was happy to roll down there gently but showed no sign of wanting to start. (I should mention that I am an expert in bump-starting: my first car was a Moggy Traveller.)

I got about a quarter of the way down the road before I started to panic. The rescue man broke the hand-brake cable when he rescued Betty and the combination of not starting and not being able to use the hand-brake was over-taxing my brain. I suggested YS should have a go.

He got in and rolled another two thirds of the way down without success. Then something struck me and I chased after him. 'Should I have switched the immobiliser off before I tried to start?'

He sighed and said it might have been a good idea.

There was just enough room left for him to bump-start Betty successfully.

I was worried about the journey to the garage as it involves hills and queues and I couldn't see how YS could do it without a hand-brake and in fear of stalling. He shook his head at me, sighed again and talked about clutch control.

He got her to the garage all fine and dandy. He is a genius. And a proper driver. I am more of a squeaky sort of driver.

P.S. Incidentally the rescue man also seems to have broken the driver's seat.

3 comments:

Anna said...

I'm not surprised! Did you see the rescue man? He was a hefty chap. Could hardly get into the car as it was. He was quite a sight wedged under the car with a torch in the rain.

Hurray for YS!!

Anonymous said...

Great story. Immobiliser...? Moggy Traveller...? (This is a model of car, right?

Liz Hinds said...

Morris Traveller. I was trying to put a photo of a Morris Traveler on the post but Blogger wouldn't let me.