Thursday, October 26, 2006

Is your work really necessary?

There's nothing like a walk in the autumn sunshine to clear your head.

I said to Harvey, 'You know what, Harvs?'
He ignored me; he was too busy sniffing a bush.
''You remember I told you I'd wiped the office computer's hard drive?'
The bush was still more interesting but I continued regardless.
'Well, at the time I thought - and I still believe this - that it wasn't a great problem. (I was scared of telling my boss but that's another matter.) I didn't lose anything crucial. Nothing really vital or irreplaceable was lost. It was more of an inconvenience than a disaster.'

Which makes me wonder: if what I do is of such little lasting value, why am I paid to do it?

But we are having a cost-cutting drive so I won't mention that thought to anyone. I will instead continue to impress on them what a wonderful and necessary job I do.

2 comments:

Serena said...

Hold on to that thought, Liz; i.e., don't pose that question at work. LOL. Instead, do what you can to convince them that everything would have been lost forever and, indeed, the Internet itself -- and perhaps your office building -- would have blown up sans your -- and only your -- expertise. Hey, that might even get you a raise.:)

Anonymous said...

Great attitude. Dazzle them with BS and continue to collect the check. They don't know how valuable you are until you're no longer there.

Do they go around and collect goodies on Halloween in Wales?