Monday, October 09, 2006

But who's counting?

As I write this it's:
76 Days
18 Hours
58 Minutes to Christmas.


I only mention that so you will appreciate how well-organised I am: I have done some Christmas shopping!

Every year I say I will do my shopping early; every year it's late November, December before I start. And then I spend days trying to decide if Great Aunt Betty would prefer a pink china elephant or a green woolly scarf. Or vice versa. Then when I've decided green china elephant would be best, I realise it's outside my price range and I have to start again.

Well, on Saturday while doing my usual shop for food in Sainsburys I noticed they had lots of Christmas gifts on Special Offer. I like to think about what people would like and appreciate but a lot of the people I buy for are distant relatives that I see very little of, and know even less about. So trying to guess their taste is almost impossible. So, for these, I decided on a 'it's the thought that counts' approach, and stocked up on a variety of goodies.

Now all I have to do is:
a) remember that I've bought these presents;
b) remember who I had in mind when I bought them;
c) remember not to buy duplicate presents.

That shouldn't be a problem. Not now I'm taking whatsitcalled to help improve my memory. (Sorry, old joke. It's gingko biloba. I'm taking it in the morning to help me remember to take my cod liver oil and glucosamine {for my joints}, evening primrose oil {for women's stuff}, and my happy pill {speaks for itself}.)

Did I take them this morning? Yes. At least I think I did. Or did I?

2 comments:

jomoore said...

You're good, Liz - I refuse to even walk down the Christmas aisle in Tesco! I know there are probably bargains, but it's the principle of the thing.

I do snap up post-Christmas Christmas card bargains every year, thinking how good it'll be that I won't have to buy more next time, but as I store them with the decs, and as I refuse to decorate until just a few days before the big day, I always forget them and always buy more. Plus, I only ever really need about 5 anyway...!

Aargh! Now I'm thinking about Christmas, and I haven't even had my summer holiday yet (roll on next week!).

Joy Des Jardins said...

Christmas shopping? That's amazing...well, I shouldn't say that...I often started by now too. In the last few years it seems I start later and later; but I kind of enjoy getting out there looking for things. My husband used to wait until the day of Xmas Eve to go shopping...can you imagine!