Tuesday, July 18, 2006

The glass box

When we were in New York, in my perpetual information-gathering state, I picked up a leaflet about a writing course. Now we were only there for five days so it was hardly going to be relevant but it turned out to be surprisingly helpful.

This course, apparently, is quite famous and well-respected. Part of it involves - I can't remember what they called it, something to do with mirror or glass - a critique system that fitted in with my own thoughts completely.

The writer reads his short story/poem and then sits back and listens to what the fellow course members have to say in a constructive criticism way. The writer is not allowed to speak, not even to respond. Instead he is encouraged to go away, put the writing aside for a day or so, then look at it again and reflect on whether the comments are valid or total rubbish.

All too often, writers rush to defend their work. 'Let me explain: I wrote that because ...'

No. You shouldn't have to explain to me why you wrote that; if you have to, then surely the writing isn't working. Or is that too harsh?

P.S. Harvey is still contemplating. He is currently torn between dog co-habitee and friend of a dog.

No comments: