Monday, July 17, 2006

Funny eye

I just had a funny eye.

It's something that has happened to me on about a twice-yearly basis for the last 18 years. I'm told it's a migraine-type thing, although it's only sometimes followed by a headache. Visual disturbance I believe it's called. Like lots of little prisms forming an arc across my line of vision.

It starts small, gradually grows and works it way out in about 15-20 minutes. I can't do anything that involves reading/writing while it's happening as I just can't see enough.

The first time it happened I was down at the doctor's before you could say hot diggetty dogs; I'm used to it now and just wait for it to pass.

And while I'm waiting I go through the 'what if it doesn't go ...?' nightmare. What if I'll never be able to see again? What if it's a symptom of a fatal monkey brain disease? What if a meteor lands on me when I'm walking Harvey? ... Yes, or lands on you indeed, Harvey.

Sight is something I take for granted - and grumble about it failing as I get older - and it takes something like a funny eye to make me appreciate just how much I should value it.

But, hey, I'm fine now. So no excuse for not getting on with rewriting my script.

No comments: