Sunday, June 18, 2006

Don't cry for me, Argentina

It was a bad week for England and Wales in the sport that really counts.

England were soundly thrashed by Australia (twice) and Wales, after losing well (if there is such a thing) in the first Test against Argentina, went on to be thoroughly outplayed and beaten in the second Test.

There could be lots of excuses I have no doubt but a major part of the problem was the fact that Wales must have given away a penalty every 5 minutes at least. And what do penalties mean? Points.

Roll on the Autumn Series (against the All Blacks, is it?)

* * * * * * * * * * * *

I was wearing a short denim skirt and strappy t-shirt to loaf around the garden in the sunshine yesterday. Husband commented that I could pass for a thirty-year-old ... from behind.

He has not yet mastered the art of complimenting.

* * * * * * * * * * *

Sean Stillman spoke in church this morning. He has recently spent time in the Ukraine and the Mid-West of America starting the setting-up of God's Squad chapters (Christian Motorcyclists) and he spoke of the amazing differences between an eastern European country and the West. In particular he mentioned the huge rolling fields that are still farmed by hand in the Ukraine - not a tractor in sight. He went on to contrast the generosity of spirit of those who have nothing with the attitudes of some in the west who feel under-privileged if they can't have the latest model of Cadillac.

But what I really wanted to say was that he reminded me of the book I'm reading at the moment: A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian (it's not). I was so reminded of it that on my way home I passed a woman and thought to myself, 'Good heavens, that's Valentina.' It wasn't, of course, as Valentina is simply a character in the book - a very unpleasant character at that.

I don't recommend the book: it is rather tedious.

No comments: