Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Lulu

This afternoon, after writing a piece for my Gower book (a project I am working on with a local photographer), I continued my investigation into e-publishing and I came across www.lulu.com

Does anyone out there know of anyone who has used it? It looks good - and simple - but, as with any sort of self-publishing, it will be the marketing that will be the difficult bit.

I am fairly disenchanted and doubt that I'll ever find an agent to take me on - let alone a publisher - so have reluctantly come to the conclusion that self-publishing or e-publishing or a mixture of both is the way ahead. I'd love to hear from anyone who has any experience of these.

On the bright side - I was going to write something but the sentence got lost in my head. I am getting increasingly worried that I am going to mix up my pills with dog pills. But Harvey's are good for the circulation and are supposed to help ease the symptoms of senility so they won't do me any harm; similarly my pills will only make him happy. So it won't really matter.

Except I might be more aware that I am miserable. And he will forget why he is wagging his tail.

From an intelligent start this post has strayed a little.

Spellchecka asked if I wanted to change senility for sunlight. That's rather a nice thought: senile people have their heads full of sunshine and buttercups.

5 comments:

Chris said...

I'll change senility for sunlight any day!!!

MaryB said...

Liz, I've looked into several self-publishers, Lulu included. A number of them have pretty good track records (or so it seems). As much as the old hard-core brick-and-mortar publishers try to say the opposite, I think this will probably be the wave of the future.

I, too, got discouraged about agents and publishers - so much so that it was stifling my writing. After I looked into some of the self-publishers/e-publishers, I feel they are a solid option to the old-timers.

(Chris - har-har! re: senility/sunlight - amen!)

Liz Hinds said...

THanks, Mary, that's helpful. That was my view too.

Good to see you're able to comment again!

Chris, as Mary says, amen to that!

Anna said...

More to the point though, has anyone actually bought an online, self-published book?

Emmy Ellis said...

I've bought a self-published book but only because a friend wrote it. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

I'm e-published, one out now with wildchild, one new release with wildchild at the end of this month and one due out in the summer with Freya's Bower. I will say going down the lulu route isn't a good idea!

Try www.wildchildpublishing.com or www.forbiddenpublications.com or www.ellorascave.com or www.freyasbower.com or www.samhainpublishing.com.

:o)