Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Passing the time until Neighbours

I was asked today what advice I could give a young girl whose mother died last year and who wants to find her father.

There's not a lot I can say, except maybe do it while there's time. But she's young; she maybe needs more time to find herself before finding him. Now there are too many possibilities that she might have to deal with, that she might not want or be able to face.

But it's hard not knowing your father. It's like not knowing a bit of yourself.

I used to think: so what, he didn't want to know me, and I don't need to know him. But it's not true. A chunk of soul is left dark and uncharted.

And if you leave it too late, well, it's too late.

I have a half-sister. She doesn't want to know me. Hey, she hasn't even met me yet; most people give me the benefit of the doubt for the first couple of meetings!

I have one photo that she is in but she is mostly hidden so only the side of her hair can be seen. It's dark and wavy, like mine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/digitalstorytelling/sites/uk/pages/liz-hinds.shtml

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but you DO also have friends who'd be glad to be your sister, don' you?

Anonymous said...

don't you?

Liz Hinds said...

Soryy, I've been at drumming. Yes, I do and I'm grateful.

Liz Hinds said...

No, three! And I love them all heaps and heaps.

Jon said...

Yes, Anna,Neil and Harvey are lovely aren't they. I do seem to remember you had a strange looking creature called Rob living in your house for a while. Whatever happened to him?

Liz Hinds said...

He's currently in mourning for St Mike.