Monday, February 20, 2006

On ageing

It's a strange thing, ageing. Physically my body shows all the signs of getting older - I started to list those signs but depressed myself too much, so I'll leave it to the imagination - but inside I feel younger than ever. I surprise myself when I realise how old I am. People my age used to be ancient I thought but apart from a tendency to nag Angelo to pull his trousers up and to tell Alun to get a haircut, I feel less ancient than regressing.

There's an incredibly energetic lady who comes to circuits. Even though she's much fitter than I am, she just seems more grown-up (she is, in fact, 6 years older).

Perhaps I'm confusing growing up and ageing. There's a little saying I've seen somewhere: getting older is compulsory; growing up is optional.

But does there come a time when Peter Pan has to leave Neverland? Will someone tell me?

I'm not leaving for a while anyway: I'm having far too much fun.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Our plasterer was Welsh surfing champion for three years. He can also strip a Beetle engine in five minutes (and put it back together again - although he didn't say whether it would still go.) I knew he was a nice man. He has also introduced us to an alternative plumber. An all-round good egg.

Oh, dear, Ieuan just brought me a news alert. Gareth Thomas admits he's feeling the strain: "I've done nothing but worry for the last five nights about what I am coming back to and what I have been accused of." Oh dear, oh dear. Let's hope Scott Johnson can get them all into concentrating mode otherwise Ireland will walk all over us. Will Gavin make the team? Probably not, or possibly. I'll do a Chris Matthews and sit on the fence. Probably on the bench because we need him but not in the team because the team don't like him. Why does Wales do this to itself?

No comments: