Wednesday, February 01, 2006

I've just had an argument with the plumber

He phoned. He said he was here from 8.30 until 10 and that he came back at 1 to try again. I said I was here all the time. He said he stuck a note through the door; I said he didn't.

He didn't believe me and certainly didn't want to believe that he had made a mistake and had been sitting outside the wrong house all morning. He kept repeating himself and I kept arguing.

Then he said, 'I rang the doorbell.'
I said, 'Aha, got you there (no, I didn't really) - we don't have a doorbell.'
He said, 'Yes, you do, on the right-hand-side.'
I said, 'No we don't.'
He said ... and so on until he mentioned that we still had the for sale sign up outside our house. 'That's 210,' I said.
'No, it had 208 on the door,' he said, still in denial. This continued for some time, him wondering what had happened when it was blatantly obvious he had gone to our neighbours'.

I did not like his manner at all. He is phoning back tonight to re-arrange a date to come. I don't want him to come now. But he is very cheap. Oh, phooey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheap but silly! Poor you and what a daft man.

MaryB said...

Same thing happened a couple of weeks ago to me with the cable TV guy. I had an afternoon appointment, so had to leave work and sit at home from 2-5, waiting for the guy to show. At 5:30, I called Comcast, only to be told that the appointment had arbitrarily been cancelled. No notice, no nothing.

Then the company had the cajones (read: nerve in the nether region) to send me a customer satisfaction form to fill out online. Gee. Imagine what I had to say . . .

I'm feeling your pain, Liz. Aaargh!