Friday, January 06, 2006

We shall not be moved

Harvey and I were singing a song when we were in the woods yesterday ... okay, Harvs, you weren't singing ... yes, I did not notice that you were trying to distance yourself from me actually ... all I can say to that is 'poo' ... yes, I thought that would shut you up.

Anyway, We shall not, we shall not, we shall not be moved, Like a bridge that's standing by the riverside, we shall not be moved. But is it 'bridge'? I mean a bridge could be moved. It could be swept away by the river or blown up by enemy aircraft. Dag a dagga dagga. But it doesn't really matter in this instance as the reason I was singing was the important thing: I was feeling re-invigorated, re-enthused, and I wanted to express that. The only place I can express myself by singing is in the middle of the lonely woods.

There is a man in my magazine who is a beachcomber. Dr Curtis Ebbesmeyer has found a seaman's heavy rubber glove and explains that it is for the left-hand. That is important because a 'lefty' will drift along ocean currents on a different path to a right-hand glove. He has a website beachcombers.org

This is an extract:

On January 10, 1992, 28,800 plastic turtles, ducks, beavers and frogs - called Floatees by the manufacturer - packed in a cargo container splashed into the mid-Pacific. During August- September, 1992, after 2,200 miles adrift, hundreds beached near Sitka, Alaska. Twelve years later, in 2004, beachcombers were still finding the bath-time critters.


Dr Ebbesmeyer warnthat therere is four times as much plastic in the "rubbish patch" that swirls around the centre of the Pacific as there is plankton. The consequences of this combination of ignorance and degradation will be dire.'

No comments: