Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A house of books

I walked past a house last night and every wall was covered in bookshelves full of books. Sitting in the middle was a man reading. And his neighbour said every room in the house is the same. I have never seen so many books outside of a library. It was awesome.

I am coming to the conclusion that if I want to be a good drummer I will have to start smoking roll-your-own. Out of the group of about 18 last night, only three were non-smokers. And that included the retired English teacher, the retired homeopathic music teacher and me. I thought smoking was dying out. It is a bit like stepping back into a fifties Parisian Left Bank scene.

Now to work. I am sending 'the novel' off to an agent today; I'm taking bets on how long the rejection takes to arrive.

3 comments:

Jon said...

If you are going to smoke, rollies are definitely the most fashionable option.

Liz Hinds said...

Really? It seems like an awful lot of effort for a very small thing. My grandfather sometimes rolled his own cigarettes and he had a special little nachine that you put the paper in, then the tobacco and then it rolled it up neatly. He used to let me do it for him. It was fun.

Anna said...

Please don't tell me that you knocked on his neighbour's door to ask about the books.

With rollies, I think the extra effort is the idea - it is supposed to take longer to put you off smoking them, so you smoke less, and to ease your conscience.

Gramp has one of those machines and I don't understand how it works.