Monday, November 14, 2005

Twas on a Monday morning

... the gasman didn't come to call.

He was supposed to be bringing the spare part that would solve all my problems - except possibly the husband who says the wrong thing - but it hasn't arrived so he can't.

When he visited on Friday, the boiler behaved itself perfectly. As it has done on every occasion that I've called out the gasman over the last three years. Ten minutes after he'd left it stopped working again.

I do find that cajoling works moderately well. But, like me, it is only open to encouragement when it is in an amicable mood. I can sweet-talk it as much as I want but if it is feeling tetchy, I am wasting my breath. Hitting does not work but it makes me feel better. I have tried explaining this to the gasmen but they don't understand. They are men.

I wonder if there are any gaswomen.

It is Prince Charles and Donna Davies's birthday today.

1 comment:

Liz Hinds said...

I should mention that for the last 24 hours I have eaten nothing except cake and chocolate. That is really quite disgraceful, but also rather yummy.