Saturday, October 29, 2005

Jiggety jig

I have reached an age when I look better in the dark.

Actually I have been that age for some time but kept trying not to believe it.

So, Tenerife. Most interesting thing is that we had a female pilot on the way back. Oh, and I got to look down into a volcano (dormant) (since 1798) and I conquered my fear and went in a cablecar. Which was fine as I pretended it was a train.

Spanish is a strange language. It bears very little resemblance to French or Latin so I am at a loss with it. Even more strange: whatever happened to Latin? No-one has been able to explain that to me. Not even Harvey is in one of his more lucid moments.

I also don't understand my brain. I am saying one thing in my head and my hand is typing something else. Something similar it's true, but not what I wanted. Not mistyping but a completely different word. It's behaving like one of those 'clever' (huh!) phones that try to pre-guess the word you're texting. Perhaps it fears that the time will come when I will no longer need my brain as I will have a machine instead and it is trying to adapt to suit the trend.

I just mistyped adapt as adpat. That's a jolly word, and it's mine not the puta's as I can tell mistyping from errant wordplay.

So anyway, Tenerife. Yeah, good, Not too hot, some good food, lots of sea swimming, and I read Atonement. It disturbed me; I wasn't happy at the end. It reminded me of Life of Pi in that, when you reach the end, you're not absolutely sure what the truth is. I'm not sure if that isn't cheating by the author. Yet it has given me a good idea for my new novel. I managed to think about it quite a bit while lying in the sun. It took my mind off the fear of skin cancer.

Gone With the Wind was rejected 38 times before Margaret Mitchell found a publisher; Stephen King had 30 rejections for Carrie. Maybe I should persevere some more with ... whatever it is called now. I will make a decision this week.

EE Cummings also had lots of rejections and she is a he apparently. Did he write the drowning poem or was that Stevie Smith?

I like Latin; it is logical. Also you don't need to put on a funny accent while speaking it.

No comments: